Morning Pages

21 Dec 2014

Morning Pages

Morning Pages


It’s almost 6 am in the morning, in Bali. I couldn't sleep from 4am anyway so decided to write some ”Morning pages”; this is a concept or a writing tool introduced by Julia Cameron the Author of the “Artist way”- a book on enhancing your creativity, connecting to your inner child healing through series of guided tools that you can do yourself by following Julia’s 12 week programme.
When I first did the programme few years ago, I can honestly say that it change my life. I committed myself to regular diary writing each morning for 3 years.
In “Artist way” Julia gives you lots on guidance on how to write them, but the basics are that you just have to “ turn up”  on the page, preferably as early in the morning as you can and then allow yourself  to write everything that comes to your mind, following your heart as a compass.
 In the beginning you will find yourself going through, what I call: “mind clutter” and lots of writing “blocks” but eventually you will get used to it and you will let yourself go.  What you might find after a while that you will find it easier, day by day, to express yourself and “turn up” on the page each morning with excitement.
 It was a long process for me and I wasn’t sure what to write about. I had these mental blocks, and the voice of “critic” in my head, constantly telling me: What are you doing here? You are not a writer, you are dyslexic, and also what you are about to write is boring anyway. Wow... Looking back I was really in a state of deep self-criticism and judgement. Through my daily writing practice I discovered layers of misconceptions, disbelieves about myself and the world, but soon I was able to be gentle with myself and let it go, bit by bit, like pealing the layers of onion. I realised that Julia gave me amasing therapeutic tool to self discovery and healing.

After few months of writing I found myself  on the exciting inner journey,  talking no only to myself but mostly to God, Divine, the Great Creator.  I also realised that this process allowed me to connect more to my feelings, emotions. Each morning I was able to reflect on the events of the previous day and welcome each new day with childlike inquisitiveness and gratitude.  As my daily writing practise grew, I felt very protective over my time in the morning and peaceful space that I needed for the writing to flow smoothly. 

I discovered that committing to the ”Morning pages” process became  commitment to self-healing and essential hygiene for the mind, body and soul.


*  If you would like to learn more about the “Morning pages” process and other creative tools, I highly recommend investing in Julias Cameron book “The artist way” guide book and going through the 12 week programme yourself.  You are also welcome to follow my blog to find out more about how I followed Julia’s guidance and how it transformed me and my creative expression.

The Artist Way


If you are aware of MEET UP,  I highly recommend to sign up for  one of many “Artist way” meet up groups that you can find all over the world.  Once you join the group , you can go through Julia’s guide book in supportive environment, join like minded people, who are on the similar path and even make new friends!

Artist way Meet Ups


14.12.14 Ubud, Bali

2 comments:

  1. Olenko,
    I wanted to thank you for this beautiful sharing, it's very precious to me.
    And I want to say, that you're very talender writer, I just love to read your pages.
    Thank you !
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Olenka Rug, for your beautiful connecting with our Gokul Yoga Bali team.
    Im sure we can always support each other in our deep spiritual connection.
    We will work together to manifest the serving with our heart to whoever need it.

    Blessing, Thankfulness & Love
    www.gokulyogabali.com

    ReplyDelete